Last updated: 15th May 2011 (v1.8.1)
Where to get ASIHTTPRequest:
- Github project page: http://github.com/pokeb/asi-http-request/tree
- Download the latest version: http://github.com/pokeb/asi-http-request/tarball/master
- License (BSD): http://github.com/pokeb/asi-http-request/tree/master/LICENSE
- Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/asihttprequest
- Lighthouse bug base: http://allseeing-i.lighthouseapp.com/projects/27881/home
What is ASIHTTPRequest?
ASIHTTPRequest is an easy to use wrapper around the CFNetwork API that makes some of the more tedious aspects of communicating with web servers easier. It is written in Objective-C and works in both Mac OS X and iPhone applications.
It is suitable performing basic HTTP requests and interacting with REST-based services (GET / POST / PUT / DELETE). The included ASIFormDataRequest subclass makes it easy to submit POST data and files usingmultipart/form-data.
- A straightforward interface for submitting data to and fetching data from webservers
- Download data to memory or directly to a file on disk
- The ability to submit files on local drives as part of POST data, compatible with the HTML file input mechanism
- Easy access to request and response HTTP headers
- Progress delegates (NSProgressIndicators and UIProgressViews) to show information about download AND upload progress
- Auto-magic management of upload and download progress indicators for operation queues
- Basic, Digest and NTLM authentication support, credentials are automatically for the duration of a session, and can be stored for later in the Keychain.
- Cookie support
- NEW! Requests can continue to run when your app moves to the background (iOS 4+)
- GZIP support for response data AND request bodies
- The included ASIDownloadCache class lets requests transparently cache responses, and allow requests for cached data to succeed even when there is no network available!
- NEW! ASIWebPageRequest - download complete webpages, including external resources like images and stylesheets. Pages of any size can be indefinitely cached, and displayed in a UIWebview / WebView even when you have no network connection.
- Easy to use support for Amazon S3 - no need to fiddle around signing requests yourself!
- Full support for Rackspace Cloud Files, contributed by Mike Mayo of Rackspace.
- NEW! Client certificates support
- Supports manual and auto-detected proxies, authenticating proxies, and PAC file auto-configuration. The built-in login dialog lets your iPhone application work transparently with authenticating proxies without any additional effort.
- Bandwidth throttling support
- Support for persistent connections
- Supports synchronous & asynchronous requests
- Get notifications about changes in your request state via delegation or NEW! blocks (Mac OS X 10.6, iOS 4 and above)
- Comes with a broad range of unit tests
ASIHTTPRequest comes with a example applications for Mac and iPhone that demonstrate some of the features.
ASIHTTPRequest is partly based on code from Apple’s ImageClient code samples, so if it doesn’t meet your needs, take a look at their CFNetwork examples for more.
ASIHTTPRequest is compatible with Mac OS 10.5 or later, and iOS 3.0 or later.