FreeType 2.6.4 发布了，FreeType 被设计为一种占用空间小的、高效的、高度可定制的、并且可以产生可移植的高品质输出（符号图像）。可以被用在诸如图像库、展出服务器、字体转换工具、图像文字产生工具等多种其它产品上。
- A new subpixel hinting mode has been contributed by Nikolaus Waxweiler, which is now the default rendering mode for TrueType fonts. It implements (almost everything of) version 40 of the bytecode engine.
- Support for the following scripts has been added to the
- Type 42 fonts as created by LilyPond are now supported.
- Minor rendering improvments in the auto-hinter.
- For experimental reasons, the old CFF engine now supports all CFF operators except `random', including the deprecated Multiple Masters instructions. This allows the display of fonts like `ITCGaramondMM-It.otf' (without font variations, though).
- Another round of fixes to improve handling of invalid fonts.
- The `ftgrid' demo program now displays the rendered pixels also; this can be switched off with the `b' key. Selection of various LCD filtering modes can be done with the `L' key.
- The demo programs have been extended to allow selection of all available TrueType bytecode engines.
- A very early beta version of a new, Qt based demo program called `ftinspect' is part of the source code bundle; it will eventually supersede the other demo programs. Currently, you have to compile it manually with `qmake; make'; note that many features are still missing.